Real friendship (black dog included)

My best friend is coming to stay for the weekend.  I didn't take this into consideration when I decided that today would be the beginning of my Year to Clear project.  I don't think that I can give them both the attention that they require - my friend to catch up and chill and relax in each other's general fabulousness, and my project, my uninterrupted me time.  I have also given some thought that my friend may be an important component in my journey.  We haven't seen each other in nearly a year.  Many things have happened in this time:- new jobs, old jobs, new houses, new friends, good news, bad news.  So much to catch up on.  We don't have regular scheduled contact during the periods of time that we don't see each other.  That's not to say we don't think about each other, and a small message here or a mention on social media there suffice to maintain the links between us.  If something major happens then we know who we can call on.  We both suffer from depression, and I think that this, alongside our mutual interests and values and morals, help us to maintain our closeness while not having to speak every day.  There is no pressure to phone or text.  There is no offence taken if three months go by without a word but either or both of us are living our lives - there is always the next time we see each other to fill in the gaps.

I love my friend.  She is a rock.  She is a guiding light.  She knows me good and bad, happy and sad.  I am excited about the next four days.  They will be full of fun and chat and laughter and silence.  In a way, I might be looking forward to that most of all.  Sunday, chilling in our pjs on the sofa, watching the tv or reading and just being.  Being ourselves, no pretence; and being, existing comfortably in the presence of someone else without the need to speak, each other's company filling up the space between us.

Comments

Popular Posts